Pharma With a Chance of Meatballs

Don’t understand our state’s gift ban? Check out this fun breakdown explaining why we need it and what we stand to lose if it’s repealed. “Pharma with a Chance of Meatballs” tells the story of how big drug companies wined and dined docs before our state acted to eliminate this conflict of interest and how these fancy meals cost consumers by jacking up the price of Rx drugs. Check it out and share it with your friends!

About HCFA

The Ultimate Massachusetts Health Care Insider Information
This entry was posted in HCFA. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Pharma With a Chance of Meatballs

  1. paul says:

    other industries are allowed to entertain customers outside of the office, why not pharmaceutical companies too?

    drug costs make up 10% of every health dollar spent. but since the patient sees that cost when they pick up a prescription, it is more visible than the other 90% of their care. which makes pharmaceutical companies easy targets.

    “pharma with a chance of meatballs” mentions the $30 billion spent “wining and dining” physicians yet fails to mention that 75% of that goes to giving away samples and advertising. so the reality is $7.5 billion spent in restaurants.

    and the one thing ive never understood is how stupid everyone assumes doctors are. because a rep hands them a pen or a sandwich, they are IMMEDIATELY FORCED to start prescribing that product? i sure hope they dont go buy cars or flat sscreen TVs by themselves without some supervision.

  2. Beth says:

    Massachusetts has the largest utilization of generic medicine in the United States. There is nothing to be gained. The only thing the ban does is hurt us. That’s why the vast majority of states do not enact laws like this.

    Indisputable fact: the price of brand name medicines will not go down despite our law.

    Solution: Let’s have some commerce and increased employment by allowing device, pharma and life science companies to take physicians out to dinner. In fact let’s encourage other types of entertainment, so everyone can share in the business.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s